Sunday, January 10, 2010

HW 32 - Tattoos & The Presentation of the Self


My cousin was about 18, making me 13 , when she got her first tattoo. I don't even remember what it originally was since she changed it about 3 times since, each time not liking what she chose. Its on her lower back, a red rose with vines spreading through the sides. When I first saw it I have to admit I was pretty excited , of course I had seen tattoos but not soo close up before then. I thought " woww I'm definitely getting one" and for a couple of yrs (maybe 2) I went on with ideas of what this tattoo would be and look like, then I got over that.

My family honestly sees tattoos as "trampy" (kinda funny since my cousin got what is considered a "tramp stamp" -_-) but with dat aside, if your covered with them they might just look down on you, think your damaging the "sacred temple" that Is your body. When it comes to me, I wouldn't get a tattoo, of course unless it signifies something VERY important, it would b very,very tiny in a place where almost no one can see it (behind my ear maybe?) But for now I have no plans of that, not anytime soon either.

To me, tattoos should signify something, the way I see it ( and the way Fanning put it very well when he talked to us about his) a tattoo is a commitment. Its something that you HAVE to commit to, think about it, this picture ,symbol, or w.e is going to stay on your body permanently , you can never get rid of it (unless you remove it with laser or what not) So why would u put something completely pointless and something you saw and thought "hey that's cute,pretty etc." On your body to stay on for a long period of time. I guess there's also the idea that tattoos are "art" but I don't think there is any reason for us to be living art pieces.

We can relate these "art tattoos" to being "cool." When u get a tattoo that is very out there, very colorful,very big, what's the point behind it? We can get the typical "I liked it" but when we look deeper into it I could say people get tattoos not for themselves but for others, why else would it be so big and flashy? Kinda like a new car, you drive it around with loud music so everyone can look and go "omg is that (add name) in that new (add car type)" tattoos work that way. You flash them to people you know,even worse people you don't know so they can have a certain idea of you, or maybe think differently about you. People might think it takes some guts to get a tattoo or they might respect you more than before, or it can back fire, they can look at you and say "wtf , that was pointless, why did he/she do that to themselves" Overall people get tattoos to seem different , right? But how can It be different if everyone is doing it now?

I believe there's a deep hidden reason for tattoos ( the flashy ones anyway) kinda like dat empty feeling maybe? Maybe people get these kind off tattoos because they are insecure or want to seek approval from their piers? I don't know lol, and I don't want to critize anyone with these kind off tattoos because they all have their reasons, they have their "special story" behind each and everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment